Where industry insight
is second nature
Our principals and sales agents have a tremendous depth of experience in the beauty industry. This experience equips our customers with vital insights in order to help them make informed decisions. Our expertise has influenced numerous product success stories over the years, and it continues to shape sales trends and opportunities as the industry evolves.
Frequently asked questions
When it comes to your business, the principals and Beauty Brand Agents of Coleman/Harrison aren’t afraid to ask the tough questions. So it seems only fair that we should address some of the most frequently asked questions we get from manufacturers who may engage our services.
Who is Coleman/Harrison?
Coleman/Harrison provides expert manufacturer representation in the professional beauty industry. Our Beauty Brand Agents are more than sales reps — they’re experienced consulting partners who work with you to maximize the marketability of your product.
How does your business work?
We serve as a 1099 sales force for the manufacturers we represent, connecting makers of fine beauty products with wholesale distributors who then sell to salons and retail beauty supply companies. When we make a sale on your behalf, we send you the order, and you ship the goods directly to the distributor.
What territories do you serve?
Coleman/Harrison serves the Midwest (IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, ND, OH, SD, WI) and Northeast (CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT, Northern VA, DC, WV) and Southwest (AR, LA, OK, TX) regions of the United States, along with Beauty Systems Group and Sally Beauty in Denton, Texas and Jinny Beauty in Atlanta, Georgia.
Are Beauty Brand Agents the same as manufacturers’ reps?
Yes and no. Like traditional manufacturers’ reps, our Beauty Brand Agents are independent contractors. Yet, while many of these organizations are structured like a team without a coach, the founders and principals of Coleman/Harrison play an active role in supporting both our sales agents and our manufacturers. If you have a question or concern, you’re always free to contact Charlie Coleman or Tom Harrison in addition to your own sales agent. And since our Beauty Brand Agents work strictly on commission, there’s no question that driving sales of your product is always a top priority.
Where are you based?
Coleman/Harrison is strategically located at the heart of the lower 48 states in Dallas, Texas, with a satellite office in St. Louis, Missouri. We’re proud to have an experienced, award-winning team of support staff and customer service professionals handling the day-to-day operations of our business.
Which distributors do you call on?
Our customer list includes some of the best-known names in the professional beauty industry. We’ve worked hard to cultivate strong relationships with our customers. We are eager to discuss the specifics of the accounts in each of the territories in face-to-face meetings with prospective manufacturers who may be considering using our services.
How does your pricing structure work?
Our Beauty Brand Agents work exclusively on commission. This gives manufacturers that we represent the peace of mind of having a fixed selling cost with no unexpected expenses like airfare, meals, hotels or insurance. There are no up-front costs for our services.
What kind of contract can I expect?
When we take on your business, we work with you to negotiate our commission based on a fixed percentage. A simple sales contract is signed, and our Beauty Brand Agents begin working on your behalf from day one.
What happens if I want out of my contract?
Should you opt to discontinue our services, simply send a registered letter or email giving 30 days’ notice in order to bring the engagement to a close.
How soon can we start working together?
Circumstances vary, but in some cases, we can sign a contract the same day we meet with you. If you’ve got a good product with a promising marketing opportunity, we may offer to sign a contract on the spot.
We’re still working through some details on a new product. Should we wait until we’re done to call you?
Even if your product isn’t finalized, it’s the perfect time to talk to Coleman/Harrison. By bringing us into the loop early in the process, you’ll benefit from the insights and suggestions of our seasoned principals and sales agents.
Whether you’re a well-established manufacturer or a dynamic start-up with a willingness to do what it takes to succeed, we’ve compiled a brief list of tips for industry innovators looking to take their business to the next level:
- Shift your focus from selling to telling. Go beyond the features of your product to understand the benefits and tell your story effectively.
- Let the package tell your story. What is it? What does it do? How will I feel when I use it? Consumers make buying decisions in a split second, so be sure your packaging communicates and resonates.
- Take a field trip. As you walk through the doors of a salon or peruse the aisles of a beauty supply store, what catches your eye? What gets overlooked? How will your product look on the shelves? Is your packaging too wide or tall to fit? Is your display too bulky, tall or wide? Staying in touch with the retail environment is the simplest way to troubleshoot your product or packaging.
- Challenge your emotional investment. Don’t let your ego or emotions prevent a good product from becoming great. Constructive criticism can be one of your most valuable resources.
- Contact Coleman/Harrison. If you’re confident about the quality and market potential of your product, contact our headquarters at 800.767.1109. Company namesakes Charlie Coleman and Tom Harrison will be glad to speak with you to see if your product and organization are a good fit for our Beauty Brand Agents.